Wednesday, March 10, 2010

$ingle lady #4: just OK

So after much planning, replanning and scheduling and rescheduling the date with Leo finally went down last night. I wasn't really in the date-y mood but I put on a good face and went. Also I was nervous? I didn't even really start contemplating the fact that I was going on a "first date" with someone I didn't know until about 15 minutes before I was supposed to meet him. In the past when embarking on a first date, I always knew the person or atleast hung out with them prior to the first date. It had helped that we had spoken via gchat beforehand but still, I didn't want to be "that awkward eHarmz date in Panera" situation and have the people and bartenders judging me.

So I've decided to provide a rundown of the date, in the fashion of the NYMag Gossip Girl blog:

The Good....

- We had plenty to talk about. Plus 5. I hate awkward silences. Resulting in a 3 hour long date, somewhat promising.
- We come from similar families/backgrounds. Plus 3. I don't want to be dealing with any crazy in-laws or a big fat greek wedding situation.
- We had similar college experiences. Plus 5. Thus ensued an extensive discussion about frats/sororities, raging and study abroad.
- We have similar tastes in music and other interests/activities. Plus 8, since my musical tastes are eclectic and I enjoy when someone can appreciate it.

The Not So Good....

- Slampiece photo was 88% accurate. Minus 1, because he probably just picked his best photos for eHarmz, as we all guilty of this. Not to mention I'm sure I was looking less than desirable after the way work has been going.
- He used the term "little boy's room" when indicating that he was going to the bathroom. Minus 50, since I hate this phrase. But since it was the first date I won't harp on it too much.
- He is a YANKEES fan. Minus 100000000000000. For anyone born and raised in Boston, this is an immediate deal breaker. But I cannot close him on eHarmz citing the reason as being, "you are a yankees fan and thus dead to me. you basically root for the devil of baseball."
- Already brought up past relationships. Minus 5, since this is kind of strange to start getting into on your first date. That's more of a conversation to have (or not) when you are already in a committed relationship.
- He used some other quirky comments that made me sort of judge him as a toolbag. Minus 8, because it made sort of uncomfortable. However per discussion with $L1, she encouraged me to give it another date to really put that label on him.

Overall I would give the date a B. It wasn't a "fireworks, out of the park, we really have a spark here" date. But it wasn't also a "I have to fake an emergency call to get out of here" date either. He has friends in town the rest of the week/weekend, so potential second date will not occur until next week at the earliest. $L1 encouraged me to give it another shot and go out with him again, which I think I will do, so I can justify my ROI (i love accounting terms). Also because I think eHarmz forgot that I was a registered member and has not provided me any new matches since this weekend.

I am also beginning to get frustrated that almost all of my new matches have their pictures hidden! I got curious the other day and decided to see what happened when I requested their photo. Now, I just assumed that it was similar to friending someone on facebook. You click on the "request this person at a friend button" and then facebook asks you AGAIN are you sure you want to request? I applied this same logic to requesting a photo. Boy was I wrong. When you click on "request photo" the request immediately goes through! I wasn't even sure if I liked the profile of the guy. But now I have a request for eHarmz email communication all because I "photo nudged" him. If I had known this I would never have requested it. Embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment