Monday, February 8, 2010

Single Lady traveling alone…friend? Or foe?

To the Mexican airport worker, a friend. He skittered over to me as I waited for my parents at baggage claim and asked if I was a model. 1) Plus 5 for a GREAT opening line, and 2) Plus an additional 5 for the sincerity in his voice as he said it, since I haven`t showered in 36 hours, my alarm went off at 5 am after having only slept for 3 1/2 hours so I know there are bags under my tired eyes, I`ve just flown 6 hours, and I`m sweating (profusely) in long pants. I know for a fact I don`t look like a model. Net/net I got a huge pick-me-up for the day and he pointed us to a shorter Immigration line.

To the first-class flight attendant (steward?), a foe. Flashback two hours to the plane where he was weaving his way through the common folks (me) in the back of the plane handing out those pesky Immigration forms. One per family, going to the HOH. They were short on English language forms so it was quite to his annoyance that all three $ingle ladies in my row each needed their own. I meekly offered to join the family of the woman sitting next to me in an effort to conserve this apparently precious resource, and ended up guiltily handing back my completed form a few rows so passengers could use it as a translator. Note to self-take other family when traveling abroad so as not to piss off the flight crew.

Overall, a wash. Have spotted exactly one $ingle Dood sitting alone at the hotel bar drinking what looks suspiciously like a Jack and Coke. Pass.

I did catch an interesting ad in the Continental in-flight magazine advertising an Executive Matchmaking Service dedicated to finding professional men their ideal mate. Men can specify down to the pound exactly what they`re looking for. Women join for free (score!) and as an afterthought post-script are reminded they have the option of declining a date. Thanks. Perhaps my wildest fantasy of marrying an incredibly wealthy businessman and becoming a Kept Woman aren`t so farfetched! Plan to apply on my return flight.

To the pool!

xo,
$L·1

1 comment:

  1. Warning: that executive match making service sounds suspiciously like a mail order bride catalog for the wall street set.

    ReplyDelete