Monday, January 25, 2010

$ingle lady #2: Why I let your call go to voicemail and respond via text

I am thinking that I should update my eH profile with the following category: "Life skills that I do not possess." It would include:

1. talking on the phone
2. composing flowery emails and greeting cards
3. feigning or displaying actual excitement when opening gifts

Numbers 1 and 2 I am able to do when needed, i.e. for my job, but in life I'd prefer not to. In fact, in my office, there is a high ranking woman who is notorious for writing "rude" emails because she tends not to say please or thank you, and you will never ever find an exclamation point. She often makes people cry and has been warned about her etiquette, but since she is damn good at her job no one really cares. This woman is my hero and I am perhaps the only person at my company who truly enjoys working with her. I love her subject-line-only emails that get right to the point, and I know that if she says I've done a good job, she means it.

I think that my email style might conflict with my budding relationship with Andre, as he likes to compose 4-paragraph-long emails to me about his life, with closings like "Hope to hear from you soon!" etc. And I respond with rapid fire answers to his questions, a few for him to answer, and no signature at all. Sorry Andre, this is just how I roll.

I was reminded of number 3 on the list this weekend when giving my little sister her 16th birthday present; she opened it and promptly ooh'ed and aah'ed in an extremely high pitch. I have received several gifts that I loved from past boyfriends, but they were sure I hated it due to my lack of shrieking upon unwrapping. I just can't do it.

So, maybe it would help my matches to know all of this up front.

<3 SL#2

No comments:

Post a Comment