Thursday, February 18, 2010

$ingle lady #2 debates subjects vs. direct objects, and existentialism?

Okay, so it's been brought to my attention that my opinion on picture captions is not correct. I am willing to hear others' opinions. Crispy Chicken Deluxe sent me an ELABORATE description of why "My sister and I" is indeed correct:

"As for your attempt at inciting a vicious grammatical debate, I think you're reaching there champ. Because I was responsible for the creation of that photo, am I not thus the subject of all constructs that result from it? If that were not the case, then we would always be 'me's,' due to the fact that we would be considered direct objects reliant upon our parents and their creation of us. Now we're entering into humanism and existentialism [$L#2]--dangerous territory."


Then a $ingled00d hopeful started a similar argument (in my defense he misspells sentence twice...):

D: fyi my sister and i - is correct
me: oh he sent me some long explanation of that but i still disagree
D: its pretty simple, if you were to finish that sentance it would be something like: my sister and i are here...me does not make sense
me: is the label the subject? i dont think of it that way
D: well its not a full sentance so its hard to argue about there being a true grammatical mistake there
me: yeah, i think you are right about that
D: i know I'm right
me: bc it could be "here is a picture of d, k and me"


The important part of this post is that Crisp was not put off by my argument, so he gets another point.

What position do my extremely grammatical friends (e.g. www.lifeneedsedits.com) hold on this debate?

<3 SL#2

3 comments:

  1. I'm aware that my spelling is sometimes lacking- but, as I said to Sheri, don't fuck with me about grammar. That's why there is spell check (we all know grammar check is worthless).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I defer, as always, to grammar girl - (http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/between-you-and-me.aspx). Especially the bit about "hypercorrection" - the combo of grammar and psychology is pretty damn sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So after *much* debate on the subject, and consulting with my editing mentor, I've come to the awful conclusion that they are both correct. Without the rest of a sentence, you can argue neither that the photo deserves object nor subject pronouns. However, I think he has gone with the better option: If we ask ourselves in our heads, "Who is in that photo?" The response would be "My sister and I [are]."

    Neither, however, are wrong.

    But. His explanation of why he is correct is weird and sort of not accurate. I think you can also call him out for his egregious error in using the severely frowned upon "due to the fact that" construction, which as any editor and grammarian knows, is atrocious.

    But, I still want you to marry Crispy Kreme forthwith. It might be fun to debate existentialism with him, too.

    ReplyDelete