Monday, March 1, 2010

$ingle lady #2: Are you laughing out loud? Really, are you??

You'll recall that in one of my earliest posts (ah when I was just a baby blogger...), I said that using the term "LOL" was a rea$on for dismissal. Well, Arthur has snuck up on me as an lol'er. I had ignored his eH message for a few weeks, because I was clearly too busy thinking of names that involve the word "crisp" (oh, apple crisp, just thought of that BOOM). But at the end of last week I realized that putting all of my eggs into one crisp basket may not be the best idea. After all, I only have one month left in my membership so I may as well get my $ worth.

So, I responded to Arthur and he was all "hey, long time no response, lol." Woof. Come on, you did not laugh out loud at your own sentence. I know you didn't. I'm all for cracking myself up, but that wasn't funny. What you mean to say is "I didn't know if you were going to respond because you left me waiting for so long and instead of just answering your email I'm going to awkwardly call you out about it and then put in an acronym that is socially used to make you know I am kind of kidding, but not really, but yes, definitely kidding." Phew.

But Arthur seems kind of nice and is cute so can I write him off for using lol seven times in one paragraph? I rationalize the reason that I don't want someone who is 'excessively overweight' (eH's term, not mine) with the fact that certain character traits usually accompany being excessively overweight, i.e. laziness, not taking pride in your appearance, etc., so I wouldn't want to date someone with those traits. But is there some character flaw that is linked to using lol? The only one I can think of is BEING REALLY ANNOYING. So we'll see.

And, I would like to point out, that sometimes when chatting with $ingle lady #5, we found ourselves in need of LOL. Because we always make each other laugh out loud. This is the purpose of the abbrev. So, instead of using LOL, we've made up our own. You are free to use them if you'd like:

-"COL" - chuckling out loud (when something is a little funny but not so funny that you're bursting out laughing)
-"PIMP" - peeing in my pants
-"APM" - almost pooing myself (reserved for the funniest of convos)

So, boys, be creative when you're laughing out loud! I'm always in the market for new shorthand. And if you're not laughing out loud, don't try to tell me you are.

Happy Monday,
$L#2

No comments:

Post a Comment