Monday, January 4, 2010

FreeHarmony: Cheating the system

After a productive Sunday spent on the couch with my first HD tv, I felt officially a member of the 21st century (10 years late and 3 days late). In the back of my mind, however, a countdown was raging: 6 hours left of the free communication weekend, 4 hours left... Would I pay for the full membership? How far could Michael #2 and I progress in our communcation stages before time expired?? We were at Step 3, only one step away from glorious "open communication" where I could only assume, all bets were off.

Finally my roomie J and I decided to venture out into the cold to church around 7:30pm, since we had forgotten what fresh air felt like. When mass was over I checked my Blackberry: 10 new emails. "Ten emails during church??" J exclaimed. eHarmony does have a way of making you feel popular. Anyway, one of the emails was about Michael #2 - he had completed Step 3! And again his answers to my open-ended questions were hilarious, solidifying my decision that Michael #2 was far superior to Michael #1 (Also, every one of my matches has had a vanilla name, often Biblical. I suppose that is for searching for White Christian men. Single Lady #1 informed me that her names were more unique since she "opened it up" to Jewish men as well, so as not to limit her NYC options).

Anyway, Michael #2 informed me that Elf was his favorite Christmas movie, which I found acceptable. If he had said Home Alone I would have made our first open communication a marriage proposal, as anyone that knows me knows my obessession with little Kevin and Uncle Frank. At this point it was 10:50pm, so I crafted my first open message: "Please respond within the next 2 hours and 10 minutes, after which free communication weekend will end and I'll disappear forever." He responded within exaclty 4 minutes with his email address. BOOYA, eHarmony. Michael #2 and I don't need you any more!

But now what do I say? Something sassy? I almost forgot that I hate when the ball is in my court. Plus, since I didn't pony up the cash for the membership, I didn't get to see a picture. But he saw mine - totally unfair. Now he knows that I'm not a completely heinous whale, but I have no idea if Michael #2 is Brad Pitt, Joel McHale (if only!!), Pauly D, or some brand of troll I'm not even familiar with. Fortunatley, as many of my friends know, I find about 80% of guys I see attractive, so those are pretty good odds.

Kisses!

Single Lady #2

No comments:

Post a Comment