Tuesday, January 5, 2010

$ingle Lady #1: Why did you join eHarmony?

There are lies in every great relationship, right? Honey, you don't look fat in those pants. I LOVE your mother, don't be silly. This dress was only $50, I promise! But when do the lies go from white to grey?

I've reached Stage 3 of GC with 4 guys now. At this stage, we ask each other open-ended questions, that are answered in paragraph form. Finally, a chance to see some part of their personality (and vice versa) above and beyond "what's your ideal getaway: Paris, Hawaii, or skiing in the mountains?" Time is ticking on this free membership, and I'm still on the fence about forking over some hard-earned Christmas checks for a social experiment. We'll see how Bill, Neal, Wesley and Dustin (the current winners in this race against time) fare against my interrogation.

Bill sent me his open ended questions first, and started with an interesting note - why am I a Buffalo Bills fan? (It's all over my profile), as he went to UB and is also a fan. Serious points for Bill. Side note: I actually "closed communication" (oh the horror!) with a Miami Dolphins fan. Honestly? Why did he even bother... but back to Bill. However, his last question was a prompted one - why did you join eHarmony? Herein lies my moral conundrum. The true answer, I was bored, and so I can blog about it, doesn't seem that appropriate. Because I want to find true love and get married and live happily ever after is a lie way further towards the "black" lie than the white on the great continuum. Still considering how to handle that one...

Neal is looking more and more like a creeper. In his must-haves-and-can't-stands (the list of "values" shared in Stage 2 of GC), he says he can't stand "being distant." Sounds harmless, until you read the description, "partner unwilling to have sex several times a week." He also only wants attractive women to communicate with. On the one hand, I'm flattered, since I'm making an assumption that he's a subscriber, so he can see my photo (as a freeharmonizer, I don't have access to his). On the other hand, who really puts that as a can't stand. Again. Creeper.

Welsey is the eager beaver. He "fast tracked" us to open communication after the first day (first Cosmo quiz exchange). Sadly, until I subscribe, I can't read his email. I hope it doesn't say "I'm also just in it for the free weekend, so if you want to be dazzled by me, respond before Tuesday."

Dustin hasn't sent me responses to mine, so I haven't seen his open endedness. Still TBD on this one.

Online dating provides a perfect forum for stretching the truth. How tall you are, how funny you are, how much you enjoy long walks on the beach - can all be fabricated. Hey, even how attractive you are is up for grabs (did no one else Google image a hot, and more importantly older, person when you got the "a/s/l/pic" request in a middle school chat room?). The question remains, how far, is too far?

xo,
$ingle Lady #1

No comments:

Post a Comment